How to Make a Winter Wreath (with your leftover holiday table decor)

What not to do the day after hosting a large dinner and your table is full of greenery and red wine stains ;)

Make a fresh wreath for your front door, of course. I'm not sure what burst of energy got into me the day after hosting Christmas dinner, but that's what I was doing. Full disclosure. I was groggy from the turkey and the wine so this took me a couple of tries to get it right and not look like I was drinking while crafting.





This is what it looked like before it was a wreath. It was a table runner of fresh greenery...




It's a simple and inexpensive way to make a big impact (well I thought so anyways) on your table. The fresh greenery cost less than $20 for a very long table. This table sat 15 patient souls. Dinner may have been a little late...




I even pulled out the good china for this one. Mikasa circa 1998 mixed with everyday white dishes because I didn't listen to my Grandmother and order enough for a large family. But I'm good with mixing it up. It keeps it from looking too fussy.


Back to the wreath...




Materials:

fresh greenery
floral tape
floral wire
scissors or clippers
wreath form




Cut your greenery down to the size you would like for the wreath. Then gather not too big bunches of the greenery together and secure it together with the floral tape. Once you've got your bunches done, start laying them out on your wreath form so you get an idea of the shape. Then start wiring them to the wreath form. This form has holes you thread the wire through and kind of tie it on/wrap it around until it's secure.  A florist may take issue with my method but it worked for me ;)




I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It makes for a pretty wreath, that doesn't scream Christmas, right? I'll leave it up all winter if I can get away with it.






If you are hosting New Year's Eve the fresh greenery runner could be a nice idea for your table and then on New Year's Day you can make a wreath. LOL.  OK maybe the day after New Year's Day, then.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Debra

2 comments

Thanks so much for your comments!